Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Roused (pt. 2)

In the culture of Jesus day, people related to each other out of honor and shame. The whole culture was based on the thought of building your family's honor. When a person was outside of the law of God it was a shame and disgrace to their family. That is why the pentatuech often commands stoning for sinful behavior. I wish that we could return to a more honor/shame based culture.
It's a tragedy that many believers are unable to feel healthy shame. This theme has become evident to me as I've looked at the Hymn we'll be looking at for the next 5-6 blogs. "Thou Whose Purpose is to Kindle." We started with the first verse last week and this week I'm going to encourage you with the second verse:

Overcome our sinful calmness
Rouse us with redemptive shame
Baptise with Thy fiery Spirit
Crown our lives with tongues of flame
Where the first verse prepares us for the "burning" the second verse leaves us feeling the fire of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit isn't a babbling, charismatic, out-of-control, healing, name-it-and-claim-it kind of guy. He's fire. He ignites a bush and doesn't consume it. Thus, when we are yielded to the fire we are inviting the Life of Christ to "overcome our sinful calmness." God's supremacy is no excuse for idleness. He commands us to live obedient and active for Him.
Also, don't automatically assume that because you feel shame, that you are being "judged." Too many believers live in a state of confusion because they do not understand that conviction and shame over our flesh is the best place we can be. When someone says or does something that convicts me, I rejoice because that uncomfortable shame is my flesh wriggling under the fire of the Spirit. I want the Spirit of Christ to reing over my flesh and therefore I delight in "redemptive shame" which leads me to repentance and further holiness!!!
Finally, how blessed we are by phrases like, "Crown our lives with tongues of flame." I want my life to continually evidence the direction, wisdom, grace, gentleness, justice, and holiness that is mine in Christ Jesus (Phi. 2:5). Beleiver, stand on the promise that your life is crowned with the flames of Jesus Christ! Revel in it...rejoice in it...delight in it...and live in it!!!
Overcome our sinful calmness
Rouse us with redemptive shame
Baptise with Thy fiery Spirit
Crown our lives with tongues of flame
For His renown,
BenZ

No comments: